For this holiday season, you can find many different ways to be more sustainable when gifting presents to loved ones, from gifting experiences, being more mindful of the gifts you purchase, and wrapping those gifts sustainably.
Gifting experiences is a great way to reduce waste this holiday season! Instead of buying more material things, you can gift an experience your loved ones will never forget!
- Sports events tickets
- Movie Tickets
- Ski Resort Passes or Tickets
- Museum Memberships or Tickets
- Gym Memberships
- Escape Room Tickets
- Donations to Charities
- Time Together
- Restaurant Gift Certificate
- Theater Tickets
- Adopt a Whale, a Seal, or a Bat
- Amusement Park Passes
- Homemade Coupon for Dinner, a Car Wash, or Babysitting
- Train or Bus Passes
- Hot Air Balloon Ride
- Woodworking Classes
- Online Subscriptions for Music, Video, Games, Newspapers, E-books, or Newspapers/Magazines
This year when you’re buying gifts for your loved ones, be sure to gift something you think they need or will be very useful to them. Also, don’t be afraid to ask what your friends and family are interested in receiving this year. You want to make sure the gift you get is something they will like and not something that will end up going to the landfill.
- Repurpose or upcycle it! If you have something you aren’t going to use anymore, try repurposing it in a gift for someone else. Or upcycle some old shirts to make a reusable bag, or a broken garden hose to make a gift basket.
- Take the taboo out of thrifting a gift! Check out your local thrift store to put together a custom curation of gifts or something unique that you wouldn’t find in a department store.
- Make it reusable! Build a reusable kit to encourage reuse and eliminate single-use items. Your kit can include reusable utensils, straws, silicone bags, produce bags, shopping bags, collapsible containers, reusable food wrap, etc.
- Consumable gifts like baked goods, wine, fair trade chocolate, soap, shampoo bar, coffee or tea are great gifts that help to fill tummies or shelves!
- Support local businesses this year when purchasing your gifts! Go into a local shop you haven’t been to before and look for a unique gift for your friends and family.
- Get it clean! If are purchasing a gift, try looking for organic or ethical items this time. This can apply for clothes, consumables, you name it!
Find more sustainable ways to wrap presents this year!
- Instead of using wrapping paper, try using an old magazine or newspaper to wrap your gifts instead.
- If you do get wrapping paper, try to get the ones that are paper based and do not have a shiny coating. Shiny or glitter-coated wrapping paper is not recyclable.
- If you don’t feel like using wrapping paper, a paper bag and tissue paper also get the job done!
No matter if you adopt one of these tips or all of them, we hope you have a wonderful holiday season this year!