Residents can recycle up to five (5) mattresses or box springs for free in one visit at the Shoreway Environmental Center’s Transfer Station through the Mattress Recycling Council’s Bye Bye Mattress Program. This is an Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) program that requires mattress manufacturers to create a statewide recycling program for unwanted mattresses and box springs. Funding for the California program comes from a recycling fee collected from consumers when they buy a new mattress or box spring.
The Transfer Station is located at 333 Shoreway Road in San Carlos. Enter through Gate 1 and follow signs for ‘Public Vehicles’ where an attendant will further assist you.
Accepted types of mattresses and box springs for recycling (as defined by the Mattress Recycling Council):
- Mattresses: defined to include any sleep surface covered with ticking or fabric that contains resilient material, such as steel innersprings, foam, fiber, or other filling or upholstery materials, used alone or in combination, regardless of size or shape, except for those products listed below. As of January 2020, this now includes futon mattresses in California (futon bases are still excluded).
- Box springs (also commonly called Foundations): defined to include a ticking- or fabric-covered structure used to support a mattress or sleep surface, and may be comprised of a frame, foam, springs or other structure, or other materials, used alone or in combination, and includes both adjustable bases or foundations and stationary foundations.
- Used and renovated Mattresses or Box springs
- Mattresses do not have to be bagged when brought to the facility.
Products NOT accepted for free drop-off:
- Items that are wet, heavily soiled or infested with bedbugs, air mattresses that contain no upholstery material (such as camping beds), car beds, cushions (such as from chairs, couches or patio furniture), juvenile products including, carriages, baskets, dressing tables, strollers, playpens, infant carriers, lounge pad, and crib bumpers, mattress pads, mattress toppers, pillows, sleeping bags, sofa beds, futon base, collapsible roll-away bed, water beds that contain no upholstery material.