Let us take it off your hands! It’s free, easy, and best of all—it’s part of the regular curbside collection program for residents of single-family homes in the cities of Belmont, Burlingame, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Redwood City, San Carlos, and San Mateo.
Recology San Mateo County offers curbside collection of used motor oil and used oil filters for recycling at no additional cost. Here’s how to get started:
- Collect used motor oil in a clear, clean, secure, and labeled screw-top container that is 1 gallon or smaller. No container? No problem! Recology can provide residents with up to five one-gallon plastic jugs for your used motor oil and up to five plastic bags for your used oil filters at a time. Contact Recology through their website or by calling (650) 595-3900 to request oil jugs and filter bags.
- Contain used oil filters in a clear zip-top bag. Be sure to seal the bag.
- Place used motor oil and filters next to your blue RECYCLING cart on your regular collection day.
This program is only for used motor oil and oil filters. No other auto fluids or other fluids, or auto parts are accepted. Limit of 5 gallons of used oil and 5 filters per collection day. Oil cannot be mixed with any other substance. Contaminated oil must be taken to the San Mateo County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Drop-off is free with an appointment for all San Mateo County residents. Schedule an appointment here or call (650) 372-6200.
Not eligible for curbside collection? Rather take your used oil and filters to a free drop-off location? Residents are encouraged to deliver their oil and filters to a nearby collection center.
- Call the drop-off location prior to bringing your used oil and filter to verify hours and limitations.
- Collect used oil in a clean, non-breakable plastic container that has a screw-on cap.
- Place used oil filter into a clear plastic bag and seal tightly.
- Deliver used motor oil and filters to the collection center. Always give used motor oil and filters to a staff member.
- Never abandon used oil or filters outside of the business when the shop is closed. This is illegal.