Class Category Contest Guidelines
- Participants must be 3rd-5th grade classes in the RethinkWaste service area*.
- The art piece must be made as a collective class effort and not by individual students. Adult supervision is required, but adult assistance should be kept to a minimum.
- 90% of the art piece must be made from everyday items that were destined for the recycling or landfill bin. No compost or hazardous materials, such as batteries or e-waste.
- Accepted art mediums include sculptures, collages, murals, etc.
- Artwork should not exceed 3 ft. x 3 ft. in size.
- Artwork must meet one of the following criteria: can stand alone and is able to be moved by an individual.
*RethinkWaste service area: Belmont, Burlingame, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Redwood City, San Carlos, San Mateo, parts of unincorporated San Mateo County, and the West Bay Sanitary District
Class Submission Instructions
- Completed Contest Submission Form (below) must accompany contest submission.
- Submissions are due by Friday, April 7th at 4 p.m. to the RethinkWaste main office located at 610 Elm Street, San Carlos, CA 94070 on the second floor of the San Carlos Library.
- Winning art pieces will be announced by Friday, April 14th.
- All winners will be recognized publicly at the RethinkWaste Earth Day Event on Saturday, April 29th at the Shoreway Environmental Center.
- If selected as a winner, we ask that at least one representative from your class be present to receive the Earth Day Recognition.
Prizes will be awarded to the 1st and 2nd place winners in the class category.
1st Place: Field trip to a local art studio
2nd Place: Class pizza party
View examples of previous years’ Trash To Art Contest winning submissions here.