Class Category Contest Guidelines
- Participants must be 3rd-5th grade classes in the RethinkWaste service area*.
- The art piece must be made as a collective class effort and not by individual students. Adult supervision is required, but adult assistance should be kept to a minimum.
- 90% of the art piece must be made from everyday items that were destined for the recycling or landfill bin. No compost or hazardous materials, such as batteries or e-waste.
- Accepted art mediums include sculptures, collages, murals, etc.
- Artwork should not exceed 3 ft. x 3 ft. in size.
*RethinkWaste service area: Belmont, Burlingame, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Redwood City, San Carlos, San Mateo, parts of unincorporated San Mateo County, and the West Bay Sanitary District
Class Submission Instructions
- Submissions must be submitted virtually by Friday, April 8th, 2022 at noon.
- Please complete the online submission form found below.
- Online submissions must include either a video or photo(s) of the artwork.
- For Video: Have students/class introduce themselves and their artwork, discuss the items they incorporated, their creative and assembly process, and any inspiration or special information they would like to share. Video should be no more than two minutes long.
- For Photos: Share several photos of the art piece showing the different elements, as well as a photo of students/class with their work. Please then complete the Artwork Description section of the form below.
- If you have questions or concerns, please email RethinkWaste staff or call (650) 802-3506.
- Contest winners will be announced by late April 2022.
- Class winners will be recognized on the RethinkWaste website and social media.
Prizes will be awarded to the 1st and 2nd place winners in the class category.
1st Place: Pizza and dessert party with reusable RethinkWaste giveaways
2nd Place: Class set of arts and crafts items