- Participants must be 3rd-5th grade students attending school in the RethinkWaste service area*.
- The art piece must be made by an individual student.
- 90% of the art piece must be made from recyclable or trash items collected from everyday life (no compost or hazardous materials, such as batteries or e-waste).
- Accepted art mediums include sculptures, collages, murals, etc.
- Artwork should not exceed 3 ft. x 3 ft. in size.
*RethinkWaste service area: Belmont, Burlingame, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Redwood City, San Carlos, San Mateo, parts of unincorporated San Mateo County, and the West Bay Sanitary District
- Submissions must be submitted virtually by Friday, April 2nd, 2021 at noon.
- Please complete the online submission form found below.
- Online submissions must include either a video or photo(s) of the artwork. In-person or mailed artwork will not be accepted due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- For Video: Have the student introduce themselves and their artwork, discuss the items they incorporated, their creative and assembly process, and any inspiration or special information they would like to share. Video should be no more than two minutes long.
- For Photos: Share several photos of the art piece showing the different elements, as well as a photo of the student artist with their work. Please complete the Artwork Description section of the form above.
- If you have questions or concerns, please email RethinkWaste staff or call (650) 802-3506.
- Winning art pieces will be announced by mid-April 2021.
- Student winners will be recognized on the RethinkWaste website and social media.
Prizes will be awarded to the 1st through 3rd place winners in the individual category.
Gift Card Prizes:
1st Place: $150
2nd Place: $100
3rd Place: $50