Individual Category Contest Guidelines
- Participants must be 3rd-5th grade students attending school in the RethinkWaste service area*.
- The art piece must be made by an individual student. Adult supervision is required, but adult assistance should be kept to a minimum.
- 90% of the art piece must be made from everyday items that were destined for the recycling or landfill bins. No compost or hazardous materials, such as batteries or e-waste.
- Accepted art mediums include sculptures, collages, murals, etc.
- Artwork should not exceed 3 ft. x 3 ft. in size.
- Artwork must meet one of the following criteria: can stand alone and is able to be moved by an individual.
*RethinkWaste service area: Belmont, Burlingame, East Palo Alto, Foster City, Hillsborough, Menlo Park, Redwood City, San Carlos, San Mateo, parts of unincorporated San Mateo County, and the West Bay Sanitary District
- Completed Contest Submission Form below must accompany contest submission (see below).
- Submissions must be dropped-off by Friday, April 7th at 4 p.m. to the RethinkWaste main office located at 610 Elm Street, Suite 202, San Carlos CA 94070 on the second floor of the San Carlos Library.
- Winning art pieces will be announced by Friday, April 14th.
- All winners will be recognized publicly at the RethinkWaste Earth Day Event on Saturday, April 29th at the Shoreway Environmental Center.
Prizes will be awarded to one winner per grade level in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade.
Winners choose from a selection of fun activities and sustainable arts and crafts kits!
View examples of previous years’ Trash To Art Contest winning submissions here.