The Shoreway Environmental Center is located in the City of San Carlos, California. The facility receives solid waste and recyclables hauled by the general public, contractors and franchised collection vehicles servicing RethinkWaste Member Agencies. Materials are consolidated and loaded into large transfer trailers for shipment offsite to the Ox Mountain Landfill and to recycling facilities for construction and demolition waste and organic materials.
To save money, recycle as much as possible before you go to the Transfer Station by visiting the Public Recycling Center. Organize your load so you can easily remove the recyclable materials at the Public Recycling Center before visiting the Transfer Station.
Public entrance to the Shoreway Environmental Center is through Gate 1 at 333 Shoreway Road, San Carlos for all areas of the facility.
Public Recycling Center
Please Note: The buyback portion of the Public Recycling Center (PRC)is temporarily closed as of Friday, August 16 while we assess market conditions and necessary program costs. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For alternate local buyback locations, please visit RecycleStuff.org.
The PRC will continue to accept free drop off of certain items as listed below.
- Batteries (household and car)
- Cell phones
- Compact fluorescent lights (CFLs)
- Cooking oil (home generated only, up to 15 gallons)
- Electronics (computers, computer monitors, TVs, copiers, faxes, VCRs and other consumer electronics)
- Small appliances (items with a power cord that do not contain fuel, batteries or refrigerants)
- Fluorescent lighting tubes (household only, up to 6 tubes, must be less than 6 feet)
- Hard and soft cover books
- Household goods in working condition (dishes/utensils, pots/pans, lamps, fans, kids toys and games)
- Latex & oil-based paint with original labels (up to 10 gallons)
- Used motor oil (up to 15 gallons)
- Used motor antifreeze (up to 10 gallons)
- Used motor oil filters
- Scrap metal
- Sharps (must be in sealed container)
The Transfer Station accepts household and business solid waste, clean green waste and wood, appliances*, auto and truck tires, concrete and asphalt and like materials, clean fill dirt, mixed demolition debris, and other non-hazardous materials and items.
*Refrigerant units accepted only with certification of Freon removal.
Rates are charged by the cubic yardage, by ton or per unit. Acceptable forms of payment include: Cash, Business Checks, Credit Cards, and Debit Cards with a Visa/Mastercard Logo. No personal checks.
Customers who have recyclable items for drop-off at the Public Recycling Center will be directed by scale house staff to the Public Drop-Off area.
View the Rate Schedule for a list of acceptable materials and fees.
The following items are not accepted:
- Hot Ashes
- Sealed Containers
- Animal Waste
- Aerosols, including spray paint
- Dead Animals
- Liquid Waste or Sludge
- Radioactive or Reactive Materials
- Any Type of Hazardous Waste
Please contact the San Mateo County’s Household Hazardous Waste Program at (650) 363-4718 for proper disposal of hazardous waste.